Saturday 2 April 2016

Purdey’s Knitted Wrap

In 1976 a bought a magazine about The New Avengers.  It was all the rage at the time.  I loved it.  The magazine contained the photo below of Joanna Lumley wearing a lovely wrap.



At the time I wanted one – but there is no information about where it came from or who knitted it.  There is no pattern.  I decided that I wanted to knit a similar wrap and I would have to make up a pattern.  I have thought about doing it many times over the years but I have not got around to it.
In January I bought some yarn from Oxford Yarn Store and have been thinking about how to knit the wrap whilst I have been knitting other things.


I had thought about doing another mitred triangle shawl similar to the one I have just knitted but starting with more stitches, but I like the fact that from what I can see of the original it was partly straight.  So my second thought was to knit 2 rectangles and join them but I think that will be too bulky. 

garter stitch

My third thought was to knit a triangle and a square to make a kind of L-shape.  In the end I have decided to keep it simple and just knit a long piece of knitting changing colours every 2 rows.  I will add some ribbing afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment