Thursday 24 March 2016

An Odd Ball Shawl

I have knitted lots of shawls and sometimes find it depressing that every row gets longer and longer.  You cast on 3sts and then keep increasing until you have hundreds.  So I decided to knit a little shawl that started with the maximum number of stitches and then keep decreasing until you could k3tog.
I bought a few odd balls of fashion yarn with sparkly bits – including 2 shades of Sirdar Divine and Stylecraft Cabaret.


Stylecraft Cabaret

Then using 6mm needles I cast on 201 stitches and decided to knit a mitred triangle – decreasing on the edges and at the centre.
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: K2tog, K97, S1, K2tog, psso, K97, K2tog.
Row 3: Knit.


odd ball knitting


As with the throw I have just finished.  I knitted every row and decreased on the front on alternate rows – the main difference being that to make a triangle I had to decrease at the ends of the rows as well as at the centre.
odd ball knitted shawl

I changed colour randomly – working 2, 4 or 6 rows with the different yarns – and then decided to finish the shawl off with a fringe.


I am pleased with the end result – it is not too large – rather like a large triangular scarf.  It is very light-weight and will be easy to wear around my shoulders – cheering up a dull day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment