Saturday 9 February 2019

Creative Cables Throw – Fourth Strip

I have now finished the fourth strip of this throw.  This is actually Strip 7 of the design.


As you can see this is very difficult.   It is not helped by the fact that 3 rows on the diagram are wrong.  They are obviously wrong because the pattern is symmetrical but the pattern on the diagram is not.  It is very easy to go wrong when you are knitting – a problem I have had is a common one – holding the stitches at the back of the work when I should be holding them at the front and vice versa.  I keep stopping and checking back – so hopefully I haven’t gone wrong anywhere – at least I did – but I noticed and took it out and redid it.  One of the photos in the book Afghan Knits shows that the sample knitter had the same problem but didn’t notice.  I am a bit reluctant to say that because mistakes can be hard to see when you are knitting.   In fact I bet no one who has not tried knitting this strip would notice that the sample is wrong.


Strip 1 and Strip 7 are the same.  Immediately on finishing Strip 7, I have started on Strip 1 – the thinking being – now I have almost mastered the pattern – at the time of typing – I have typed it 26 times – I had better carry on.  If I stop I will lose interest and forget how to knit this pattern.
As I have been thinking about my Everything I have Ever Knitted project whilst I have been knitting – I was trying to remember when and how I learned to knit cables.  I think I just knitted a sample from some instructions and produced what I would call a honeycomb pattern.  This pattern is not actually included in this throw but it is featured in the pattern on the front of the latest Knitting magazine which I do fancy having a go at.  It is a Brian Smith design.  I have tried several of his before and enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment