Wednesday 8 March 2017

Garter Stitch

I do like garter stitch and I am glad that it is having a revival.  There is a book which has “garter stitch” and “revival” in the title which I must get around to buying.  I remember when I first learnt to knit – I used to do garter stitch with fine yarn on small needles – this is not that much fun.  Now I often use much larger needles than you are supposed to - so that the fabric is not so dense and heavy.
I have finished the Noro shawl that I was knitting last week.  I was a bit dubious about producing a picot edge while casting off – but I did it.  I won’t lie to you – it took ages – I think it took at least an hour!  There were a lot of stitches.  I am not sure how many in the end because I just kept going until the shawl seemed about the right size.  It is based on the Brian Smith design but it is not identical!

Noro knitted shawl



What I particularly like – which wasn’t in the original design – is that the edging changes colour from lime to navy.  Brian Smith used a plain colour to cast off.  My shawl would look odd if there was not so much of each colour – it looks like it was planned.  I knew there would be a colour changed due to the large number of stitches – but part of the fun of using Noro yarn – is that you are never quite sure what will happen.
I am now back knitting my 10-Stitch blanket.  It is in Noro Kureyon shade 319 which has a lot of bright definite colours and I am using large needles – 7mm I think.

Noro Kureyon

I am pleased with the result so far.  It is another fun garter-stitch design.   I am not sure that I am doing it right – but I think it looks OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment