Saturday 19 March 2016

Odd Ball Charity Throw

After about 6 months of knitting this throw – on and off – I have finished it.


mitered square throw

It consists of 54 mitred squares – 6 columns of 9.  For each square I cast on or picked up 71sts (35 +1+ 35).  All the yarn was double knitting weight and I used 5mm needles and garter stitch.   
Row 1: Knit. (back of work)
Row 2: K34, sl1, K2tog, psso, K34.
Row 3: Knit.
I decreased at the centre of all even rows, and knit all odd rows.
I changed colour after I had knitted 8 ridges of garter stitch, working 4 rows (2 ridges) with a contrasting colour, and then working a second stripe after another 8 ridges of garter stitch.  I then used the main colour until the square was complete.  No two squares are the same and there is no pattern – apart from making sure that similar colours are kept apart.
I used a beige coloured yarn to put an edge on the throw – I just picked up stitches (without counting them) and worked 3 rows of garter stitch.  I did the sides first and then the top and bottom.

domino knitted throw

The throw has turned out larger than I had planned because although each square is roughly 8” square individually – when joined - the squares stretch quite a lot.  If I knit it again – and I probably will to use up other oddments of yarn – I will make the squares smaller – perhaps using as few as 63sts (31 + 1 + 31).
I will now probably donate it to Oxfam for them to sell at festivals in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment