Tuesday 29 September 2015

Poppies Throw

I have finished my poppies throw.  It took a little longer than I had thought (things always do).  I did manage to finish the other 3 strips by the weekend, but then I took ages fiddling about with the edges.  The problem is that stocking stitch curls up easily.   I looked at the Noro Hearts throw pattern and another Debbie Bliss pattern that I have got for a similar throw – in both cases they only have a narrow edge and both suggest you pick up a lot of stitches.  I decided to pick up less stitches so that the edges would be not curl so much and in the case of the top and bottom – I used smaller needles.


Poppies throw

I am pleased with the result – it looks like the idea I had in my head.  In case you are interested in knitting one – I am including the pattern below.  I haven’t filled in the black part at the centre of the poppy because otherwise the lines don’t show up.  Basically at it widest point the centre is 9sts across. 


knitted poppy throw

Poppies Throw Pattern
Yarn: Noro Kureyon  - 2 background shades.  I used 332 for the green squares (approximately 6 balls) and 263 for the brown squares (I used 8 balls of this because I used the orange parts of the balls for the poppies).
Poppy yarns – I used about 8 balls but I used up oddments and in some cases I only used half a ball.  My throw includes the following shades: 124, 204, 319, 277, 326, 272 and 263.
Black centres – again I used lots of odd bits of yarn left over from other projects. 
5mm needles
5mm circular needle
4mm circular needle

I knitted 6 strips of 7 squares.

Using a background shade and 5mm needles cast on 33sts and follow the chart shown below joining colours as necessary.  I used separate balls – so in the middle of the poppy, I was knitting with 5 separate balls.



When I had completed 6 strips I sewed them together using mattress stitch.
Right Side Edging
Using a 5mm circular needle and a background colour, pick up 25-26sts from the side of each square (approximately 176sts) and then work 3 rows in garter stitch.  Cast off. (Repeat for Left Side Edging).
Top Edging
Using a 4mm circular needle pick up and a background colour, pick up 3sts from the top of the side edging and 28sts from the top of each square, and then 3sts from the other side edging.  (approximately 174sts).  Work 5 rows in garter stitch.  Cast off.
Repeat for Bottom Edging picking up stitches from the bottom!
Sew in any ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment