Sunday 15 June 2014

If in doubt, give up!
I have always found that when I start to question whether my design is turning out right – it is time to unravel and start again.  Sometimes I have tried to carry on, convincing myself that it will be OK when I have done a bit more, or added another colour – but the doubts remain, spoiling my enjoyment.

What am I talking about?  I was going to make a crazy patchwork bag but it isn’t happening.  I think there are three problems – firstly I haven’t got enough yarn in plain colours and the patterned yarns I have don’t go together.  Secondly: I think the design would work out better if I had less yarn so that I was forced to make small patches, and thirdly I am being too impatient.  I want to knit something that will knit up much more quickly.  If I was prepared to spend the time on it – I could use the yarn I have to make lots of small patches - although that would seem a bit of a waste.

Instead, I think will do a new version of my maze bag which is a bit battered now as I use it most days.  The design was based on a maze with green hedges.

 
I can’t just copy the previous design as the bag lining I have is smaller and slopes inwards towards the top – so I will have to try to ensure that the design slopes in towards the top as well – probably by using fewer stitches in each shape.  The design originally used mitred squares, oblongs and L-shapes.  I have roughed out a new design which just uses oblongs and L-shapes.  I now need to do some experiments to see if the shapes are the right size and decide what colours to use.  At the moment I favour grey as a base colour – but I may change my mind when it looks awful!

No comments:

Post a Comment