Monday 20 June 2022

Noro Kureyon Odd Ball Throw

 


I love Noro Kureyon.  I know I have said this before – but it is one of my all-time favourite yarns.  Last time I wrote about knitting for a friend at work – but I have also been encouraging another friend to learn to knit.  She told me that her mother wanted to get back into knitting and she thought she would have a go as well.  I said I would supply her with the basics – needles and yarn.  I went home and when through all my accessible stash to see what might be suitable.

For her first project – a scarf – she chose some Colinette Prism and she told me she enjoyed the process of knitting it.  When she had finished she decided to make another scarf – for this I gave her some Noro Kureyon which I had intended to use for a jumper – but it had never got knitted.

I noticed that I have got a lot of odd bits of Kureyon – bits that very few other people would bother with – bits that could not be donated to a charity shop.  I decided to knit some of them!  I used the same sort of design as the previous throw that I knitted – simple garter stitch squares using two shades of Kureyon.   I used less stitches for each square – only 41 (20 + 1 + 20).  This was because I was using odd bits of yarn.  It is much easier to use up bits when knitting smaller squares.   I will eventually be knitting a throw with squares the size of a postage stamp!

I worked the squares in strips - across the throw – again this was due to the restrictions of the yarn – roughly if you have 2 full balls you can produce a strip which is the right width for a throw.  When I had finished knitting all the strips I organized them in a way that I thought looked best and sewed them together – adding an edging in a shade I had more of than any other.

When I say that each square/strip contains 2 shades used alternately – sometimes this was 2 whole balls and at other times it was bits of similar colours that might originally have come from other shades. 

I am pleased with the end result.  I think I might give it to the friend who caused me to knit it.  It is a bit too bright for many people but as she is an artist – she might appreciate it.

While I was knitting I was producing yet more odd bits and these made me think about knitting a cardigan in a similar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment