Thursday 9 June 2022

Odd Ball Birthday Throw


I haven’t written anything for ages - in fact I hadn't realised how long it was. I haven’t really done much knitting this year but in the last few weeks I have started again.  I have had breaks before – even for as long as a couple of years but not since I started writing a knitting blog!

Last year a friend of mine at work gave me 3 balls of yarn for my birthday.  It is very easy to buy me a present because I love odd balls of yarn.   I thought I would knit the yarn and give it back to her on her birthday in April.

During the winter I started knitting.  I used the balls that I had been given and combined them with some of the odd balls that I had left over from when I knitted tea cosies.  I decided to choose blues and pinks because these are the colours that my friend likes.    However when I gave it to her – I said that if she hated it – I didn’t want her to feel that she had to keep it – she should find someone who did like it and give it to them.  Anyway I think she does like it.

With the cost of heating being very high – I think having a throw on the sofa or in the case of knitters – knitting a throw (covering your lap) could be very popular this winter.  I was lucky this year – knitting a throw when it was chilly – I normally have to do it when it is hot.


The pattern is very simple.  All the squares are knitted in double knitting on 5mm needles and garter stitch is used throughout.  Each square is made up of 61 stitches – with the first decrease in the centre of the second row – which becomes the right side.

I did get this throw finished by the end of April and I took photos before I wrapped it up – but I have failed to write about it until now.   During May I did continue knitting using up some more of my stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment