Monday 16 March 2020

Nightshift by Andrea Mowry



I received this pattern for Christmas after seeing it advertised in the Tangled Yarn newsletter. You are supposed to use Spincycle Yarns but these are not easy to find and very expensive.  I decided to visit Oxford Yarn Store and find an alternative.  I chose a mixture of yarns.  

They are mainly Malabrigo Arroyo which is superwash merino wool, but also Isager Jensen, Rowan Island Blend and Fibre Co Acadia.  It was the colours that were important to me not the yarn thickness.  I wanted to choose a mixture of brown, orange and turquoise.  I added a bit of green – because I often wear this colour.  I originally intended to include a pink colour of Malabrigo Arroyo – one I have used before fairly recently, but on my last visit to Oxford Yarn store – I noticed a new colour which was more chestnut brown, so I changed my mind and have used this instead of the pink.


I have almost finished knitting the shawl.  I started with a plan of which colours to use – and then as I knitted I changed it.  That is the best way – it is not a good idea to be too rigid. There are 10 pattern sections.  I am on the last one.  I think my shawl will be smaller than the original because the yarns are finer.  When I have finished Section Ten – I will decide whether I have finished or whether I want to knit another section to make the shawl larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment