Friday 17 May 2019

Creative Cables Throw by Martin Storey

A few weeks ago – I finally finished the Creative Cables throw using my choice of colours.  Karen Draisey of Oxford Yarn Store took some pictures of the finished throw.

creative cables throw

I feel a bit guilty because it cost me nothing.  I did not buy any yarn – I used yarn from my stash.  I made myself feel better by thinking that once I had knitted it there would be a space for some new yarn!

This throw is featured on the cover of the book Afghan Knits.  When I saw it – I was not keen on the colour choice and thought it was a shame that such a good design was spoilt by the colours.  The don’t seem to go together.  If I was buying yarn for this project – I probably would have used a snooker table green for the end strip instead of the dull green that I had.


The printed pattern has a few mistakes and Rowan have issued some corrections for it.  However I am not the most experienced cable knitter and I managed to work out what ought to be done.  Basically all the charts should be symmetrical  - the left and right side should be the same – which in the copy I had – they aren’t.   A good tip is – follow the photograph – and once you have established the pattern correctly follow that rather than the chart.

Tomorrow I am going to Oxford for our Knitting and Crochet Guild Regional Day.  I have never been to one before and to be honest – I am not sure what one is – it sounds like a conference that I used to go to for work – although about knitting instead of work!  I will use this as an excuse to visit Oxford Yarn Store and make up for not buying yarn for the Creative Cables throw.   I am working on a jumper and have 2 shawls that I want to knit but I can’t stop thinking about the next throw I want to make and trying to work out how much yarn I need.   

I keep saying to myself – I must clear up some of the bags of yarn in my lounge but instead of that – I keep adding to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment