Tuesday 29 January 2019

Vanessa by Marie Wallin

Last year I greatly admired the Marie Wallin collection called Bloomsbury.  If I had endless amounts of time I would love to knit several of the designs.  They are knitted in Rowan Felted Tweed and are a mixture of Fair-isle and texture.


I decided that I particularly liked a Fair-isle cardigan called Vanessa and received the yarn for Christmas as a present.

I had intended to start knitting immediately – full of enthusiasm for a pile of beautiful yarn and a complicated pattern.  I have a lot of holiday in January – so  I should have plenty of time to work on it.  That was the plan but then I got ill and remembered the Creative Cables throw that I started last year – and so I haven’t got very far with this cardigan.  I think it could take some time but if I finish it – I think it will be the adult-size first Fair-isle cardigan that I have ever finished – I usually unravel them!  

At the moment I am still trying to follow the pattern.  When I have knitted it once I can copy my knitting instead of having to peer through a magnifying glass at the chart.  I did try to look at the photograph but the chart and the photograph are different – they shouldn’t be but they are.  I think it is the chart that is correct – the sample garment has been knitted with the pattern starting in the middle rather than at the beginning.

Apart from the chart – I have had problems with my tension.  I know I knit loosely but I can’t go down too many needles sizes when the needles are very thin to start with.  I have decided to knit the smallest size with the correct needles – hopefully this will work out.  Otherwise I will be unravelling again!

No comments:

Post a Comment