Sunday 20 January 2019

Creative Cables Throw

Some time last year I started knitting the Creative Cables Throw from Martin Storey’s Afghan Knits book.

I like the look of the design but I really dislike the colours.  They look really bitty and random.  I looked in my stash and found 7 colours which I liked better. 
I haven’t  finished it – it will take months – but I have finished knitting the first strip.


This is an easy one – just one row of twists in an 8 row pattern.  When I started knitting it – I immediately came to a problem – the diagram suggests you put the twist on the back (Row 2) – which must be wrong – so I have moved it to the following row (Row 3). 
As I have said the pattern is easy but it is also quite boring.  It is OK if you are watching something interesting on TV but otherwise it is boring.   I had intended to just finish the strip I had been knitting – and then come back to the project later.  However – I have got interested again and no sooner had I finished the first strip – I began another one.


This is a 4 row pattern with 2 rows of twists.  I think it is actually easier to knit because – the use of the cable needle is intensive rather than spaced out – so you need to concentrate in small sections.  I may change my mind after a few hundred rows.
Anyway – the first strip I knitted is Strip 5 and this one is Strip 6.  I am knitting them as they appeal to me.  The thinking is if I leave the most difficult one until last – I will be thinking – I have only got to finish this one for the project to be finished.  This is not strictly true as I will have the edging to do.
In the end I didn’t start knitting again this year until 14 January.  I did finish the shawl I had been making and then I sewed up a jumper I had been making.  I haven’t tried that on yet – it may not be completely finished if it needs adjustments. 
Apart from the Creative Cables Throws project – I have also cast on something quite complicated – but I will write about that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment