Sunday 11 November 2018

Knitting for Remembrance

Today is Remembrance Sunday although the original name was Armistice Day and this seems more appropriate this year on the centenary of the end of World War 1.

Normally I knit poppies or something including poppies to remember my great granddad Thomas Wade who was killed in 1917, but this year as many of you will know – I knitted a Memorial Quilt to remember him and the other now 77 known men lost by my family.  I am including below the best photo I have seen of the quilt which was taken by Karen Draisey of Oxford Yarn Store.

The quilt was hard to photograph because it was so big (note to self: make something smaller next time).  In the photo the quilt is being held up by 2 men standing on chairs.
If anyone wants to see the quilt “in person” – it is on display in Oxford Yarn Store until the end of the month.
I have started thinking about my next eccentric project but I have nothing coherent to write down yet.  Several people have asked me about how I come up with designs – so I will try to put down my workings rather than just the end results.  I could just mention that I am thinking about a project which I will not start until January at the earliest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment