Saturday 7 July 2018

Simply Stripes Blanket

I haven’t done much knitting recently – hence the long gaps between blog posts.  This week I have been knitting a few tea cosies for All the Fun of the Fair and I have also been working on a sample for the Oxford Yarn Store. 

Rowan Felted Tweed

This work in progress is a Martin Storey design from the book Afghan Knits.  This book has several interesting patterns in it – but this one is particularly good for using up odd bits of Rowan Felted Tweed.  After knitting my Memorial Quilt I have got quite a lot of odd bits!


You are supposed to knit 63 separate squares and then sew them together.  I have decided to knit 7 strips and sew them together.


I did try to knit the strips together as I went along but could not get the join to look very neat.  Now I am glad I didn’t manage that – I do not want a lap full of blanket in this heat.  Thin strips are ideal for knitting when it is hot. 


I like the design and I like the effect – the only criticism I have is that although it is described as a blanket – it is very small.  If I was knitting this for me I would knit more squares and make it bigger.  This would mean that if I had bought the yarn for this project I would use up more of it.  I would also need more of the main colour but I think it would be worth it to make a larger blanket.

While I have been knitting these strips I have been thinking about another mad project that I might try next year when it will be the 40 year anniversary of me taking a serious interest in knitting as opposed to knitting dolls’ blankets as a child.  I have started scribbling on a piece of lined paper – that is how the quilt started.  Anyway – there will be more about this in the future.  I think the next project I work on had better be a shawl for my aunt’s 80 birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment