Wednesday 4 October 2017

WW1 Memorial Quilt – Fred


Rowan Felted Tweed

I have started working on a second piece of my knitted patchwork quilt.    I am calling it Fred after Frederick Charles Connew who was my third cousin twice removed. He was a private in the 2nd Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment who died on 25 September 1915 aged 21.  
According to the 1911 census Frederick was a tea packer working for a tea merchant – presumably in London where he lived.  I think this could have been quite dangerous work, as tea can be explosive if it forms a dust cloud.  The design I have come up with for this piece is based on the tops of tea chests.
Rowan Felted Tweed

Originally I intended to do columns of 4 shapes – but now I have decided to do 3 columns of 5 shapes – this means that this piece uses 16 different shades of Rowan Felted Tweed but it could be knitted with just 2 one for the “centres” and one for the background.  I have used my main colour – brown for the background.


This piece is knitting up very quickly.  I think there are 2 reasons for this – firstly it is quite interesting to knit and secondly because  it is easier to knit than the first piece - the yarn does not get so tangled.

No comments:

Post a Comment