Tuesday 10 October 2017

WW1 Memorial Quilt – Fred – Finished Piece

I have finished my second piece – I told you it was easy!



This piece is called Fred and is based on the occupation of tea packer.  A rough pattern is given below.
I used brown (Rowan Felted Tweed Shade 145)for the background and 15 other shades (from the top left to right  158, 150, 181, 151, 157, Mink, 154, 184, 159, 177, 192, 186, 175, 161, 195)  I used separate balls of each colour – winding 3 balls of brown.
Using 4mm needles I cast on 67sts and knit 165 rows.  I knit 2 rows in brown and then did a “set-up” row to place the colours as follows: K7 in brown, K9 in first shade, K15 in brown, K9 in second shade, K15 in brown, K9 in third shade, K2 in brown.  For the next 4 rows I decreased the brown by one st and increased the colours correspondingly until I had 2sts in brown, 19sts in Shade 1, 3sts in brown, 19sts in  Shade 2, 3sts in brown, 19sts in Shade 3 and 2sts in brown.  I worked 18 more rows straight – so you have 19 rows without “shaping”.  I then reversed the procedure I had used at the bottom to reduce the coloured sections down to 9sts again.  I then worked 4 rows in brown, and started the with 3 new colours and so on.  When I had completed the 165th row, I cast off in brown.
If you want to try it – it may be best to draw it on graph paper first.  As with the first piece – the pattern sounds much more complicated than it actually is.
While I have been knitting this piece – I have been thinking about patterns for some of the other pieces.  I am going to start another piece this week but at the moment I am knitting a shawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment