Tuesday 22 November 2016

The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

This week I have finished reading The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood.  It is not a new book – my paperback copy was published in 2008. I have had the book for ages but not read it and then I read a review of it on the Knitting Squirrel blog.


I am not sure what I thought about it really.  It was OK but I prefer a detective story.  It reminded me of the book “How to Make an American Quilt” or the Blossom Street books of Debbie Macomber.  It is about a group of (mainly) women who meet regularly to knit.  They all have problems which are helped by knitting and by talking to the others.   I think the book could be enjoyed by people who have no interest in knitting.  The main character has been overwhelmed by the sudden death of her child and learning to knit is a distraction and meeting new people who do not know about her problems is helpful to her.
I find that knitting can help you deal with problems – it can be soothing but it can also been quite stressful when it is not going right or you have a deadline to meet.
I hope that next week I will be able to write about some knitting that I have done.  I have gone back to the Christmas jacket and would like to get it finished soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment