Thursday 21 May 2020

Three Tea Cosies

I have finally got around to finishing 3 tea cosies which I started knitting about 5 years ago.  It was silly really the first one is based on a  Fondant Fancy and it may be that it was longer than 5 years ago that I started knitting this.  When I say “started” – I mean I knitted it all apart from putting the decoration on the top and sewing it up.


I could not decide how to do the decoration – whether to do embroidery or crochet.  This month – it still took my ages to decide what to do.  In the end I made a crocheted chain using 2 strands of yarn and sewed it onto the top of the cosy.  I then sewed up the sides and it was finished.


The second cosy was inspired by the Tower of London – so it is meant to be a Keep.  All it needed was sewing up.  I had started doing it years ago – there were pins in it – but for some reason – long forgotten – I abandoned it unfinished until now.


The third cosy was inspired by a bus.  I hope that is obvious.  It was much more complicated than the other 2 cosies and much less finished.


It is padded and lined.  I had only knitted one side of the lining and one of the end pieces was too short so needed to be lengthened.   I know why I stopped working on it – I had run out of yarn – but the new ball was there – so why didn’t I carry on a finish it after I had bought the new yarn?  The answer is – that I got interested in something else and just stuffed it into a bag with all the other unfinished tea cosies.  It took a bit longer to sew all the bits together, attach the padding, and then attach the lining to the outer knitting.  I am quite pleased with it because it does stand up on its own.  In the photos – there is a teapot under it but that is not obvious.


I have now drafted a design for a fourth tea cosy.  I wonder if I will knit it before I get distracted by something else.  I mean I have some old yarn that would make a nice summer jumper!  I bought the yarn about 15 years ago – and have no idea what I intended to use it for but now I have found a pattern…

No comments:

Post a Comment