Wednesday 9 May 2018

WW1 Memorial Quilt – Frank – Engine Fitter

I have finished the piece for the Engine Fitters in my family.



I have a bit of a confession – I still don’t know what an engine fitter did nor whether a fitter is the same or something different.  I decided to knit what I wanted to – which is an artistic impression of a combustion engine – in case you wondered!  The piece has 80sts and 132 rows. 


This piece is named after my second cousin, 3 times removed: Francis James (Frank) Templeman who was an engine fitter.  He was a sergeant in the 5th battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment who died on 30 July 1915 aged 33. 


It is also to remember my great great uncle Percy Carswell who was a fitter.  He was a private in the Royal West Kent Regiment who died on 29 June 1916 aged 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment