Tuesday 22 May 2018

WW1 Memorial Quilt – Albert – Railway Worker

This is my finished piece for my railway workers.


I hope the middle section looks like a railway engine.  Either side are trunks and a vague impression of a station building or a covered platform.


The piece has 121sts and 132 rows. 

I thought about this design for months.  I wanted to do a train in some form and I considered knitting just a carriage – or a train from the side.  In the end I decided to do a design similar to the Road Transport piece – even using red and black in a similar way.  For the engine I deliberately knitted black surrounded by red – so that it looked a bit like a poppy.  


This piece is to remember my third cousin, 3 times removed: Albert John Boyce who was a railway guard and a corporal in the Royal Fusiliers who died on 24 May 1915 aged 35.
It is also to remember the other men who worked on the railway including Wilfred Algernon Burfield who was my third cousin, twice removed.  He was a railway engineer who died from disease on 13 February 1916 aged 21.  He had served in the Royal Navy on HMS Vivid.
I am now working on the last piece – the one for the gardeners in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment