Wednesday 21 February 2018

WW1 Memorial Quilt – Jim - Polisher

After I had finished knitting the piece of my quilt for the soldiers, I immediately started a small piece which I intend to be in the top right-hand corner.


This piece is to remember the polishers and French polishers in my family who died in World War 1.   It is called Jim after my second cousin, twice removed: James Henry Wade who was a polisher in civilian life and a Lance corporal in the 16th battalion of the Rifle Brigade who died on 7 August 1917 aged 20.
This piece is also dedicated to my first cousin, 4 times removed: Henry Carr who was a French polisher and a private in the 20th battalion of the Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex) Regiment.  He died on 28 Aug 1916 aged 46. 

For this piece I cast on 50sts and worked 66 rows.  I think it looks like a flower!  However, it is supposed to be a screwed up cloth on a piece of wood.  That was the idea anyway!
I am on a roll again at the moment and I am just about to start my next piece dedicated to those who worked with bottles – both full and empty!

No comments:

Post a Comment