Wednesday 6 December 2017

WW1 Memorial Quilt

As I said at the end of my last post – I have started knitting a piece to remember the tailors and other textile workers in my family. 


When I say I have started it – I had hoped I had finished it – but something has gone wrong and it is too long – so I will probably need to unravel some of it and make some adjustments.

When I started this project and drew out a plan of how many pieces I was going to knit and how many rows and stitches each one needed.  I was a bit worried that this piece would be too narrow if I pulled the threads too tight across the back – but the width is OK – it is the length.  This piece which will be known as Bob should be the same size as Tom and it isn’t!  Never mind – I can fix it!
Before I make adjustments to this piece – I am going to knit the next piece.  Because that will confirm how long it needs to be.  So I will come back to Bob.  I have made a start on Charlie – the piece for a butcher.

On Saturday I went to Oxford for the monthly Knitting and Crochet Guild meeting.  It was a Show and Tell session – so I took the pieces of quilt that I have done so far.  I have told several people about the project but I don’t think they understood it until they actually saw what I was doing.  I am now going to do a talk about it in June next year.  As a member of the Birmingham group was present – I am also going to talk about it in Birmingham next August. 

Before I went to the meeting, I visited Oxford Yarn Store to buy some more yarn – and everyone there seemed to like the pieces of quilt and were interested in the idea behind it.  With all this interest I had better get on with it.  However, I think I may have to fit in a last minute Christmas present before I can concentrate all my attention on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment