Monday 27 November 2017

WW1 Memorial Quilt – George

I am on a roll at the moment.  I think I was inspired by Armistice Day to put more effort into this project.

Rowan Felted Tweed

This piece is called George and I hope it is obvious what the occupation is – it is a letter to represent a postman.
This piece was named after George Skeer who was the husband of my 4th cousin twice removed.  George was a postman but he became a sergeant in the Royal Garrison Artillery and died on 21 March 1918 aged 37.   This piece is also for my 2nd cousin, three times removed - Francis Reginald Wade who was a rifleman in the 8th battalion of the London Regiment (the Post Office Rifles).  He died on 24 July 1915 aged 24.


When I was thinking about what to knit for a postman – I did consider a pillar box, but I like the simplicity of a letter.  It is a bit of an odd shape – but at least it is not tall and narrow.  I chose the most “letter-like” shape for the postmen.  It is the second time this year that I have knitted words as blocks of colour – or in this case – blocks of grey.  I may embroider on some franking across the stamp.
This piece is 95sts wide and 66 rows high.  I mainly used Rowan Felted Tweed Shade: 177.
I am now working on a piece for a tailor and draper.

No comments:

Post a Comment