Tuesday 15 August 2017

Rowan Felted Tweed

I think I will add Rowan Felted Tweed to my list of all-time favourite yarns.  It is 50% merino wool, 25% alpaca and 25% viscose which means it feels lovely but is quite hard-wearing.  I am intending to use it for my next big project and so a couple of weeks ago I bought one ball of several different colours.

Rowan felted tweed

I already had about 7 balls of a brown shade known as Treacle and I think I will use this for the main colour. 

What I particularly like about this yarn – is that the shades are tastefully subtle – not my usual brash colours.
I have been thinking about this project for several months now – I want to do something to remember my relatives who died during the First World War.  I had originally intended to make some kind of picture – something relatively small – but I think I would like to make something bigger – eg a throw or knitted patchwork quilt.  That would be more me.
I sort of know what I want it to look like in general terms.  I think I will start knitting before I have finished the design – and I don’t want to plan everything carefully and then start knitting – that would take the excitement out of the idea.  There will need to be some planning – so that the spread of colours looks balanced.  I have considered using the main colour in every patch – that might work.
I think I will have to knit the patches separately and join them afterwards.  In theory this would mean that I could move things about to make them look right – but at the moment I intend to knit different sized patches which will only fit together one way.  I could just do squares – but again that would be a bit boring.
Hopefully next time I write a post – I will have some actual knitting to show you.


No comments:

Post a Comment