Thursday 12 January 2017

Knit the Sky Scarf Update

Each day of this year so far I have been adding 2 rows of garter stitch to my “Knit the Sky” scarf.

knit the sky scarf

It is a bit grey at the moment but there have been a couple of brighter days.  I am trying to record the colour of the sky around the time I have my lunch (whenever that is).  Today I think It will be off-white.  The test for this project will come next week when I am travelling around a lot – will I forget to notice the sky?
Last Saturday I managed to get to Oxford.  I wanted to take some yarn, needles etc to Oxford Yarn Store.  They are collecting yarn to be sent to Northern Greece for the refugees to use.  I remembered that I had read an article in which Horst Schulz said that he had learned to knit in a refugee camp and how good it was to have something to do and a way of making money – by knitting things to sell or swop for essentials.
When I entered Oxford Yarn Store heavily laden with bags – I said – I want to leave with less wool than I arrived with!  I did buy some more yarn – but I was applying the Sally Melville principle of how to use up your stash – you buy a main colour to bring odd balls together.  So I bought 5 skeins of Rowan Fine Art Aran which were in the Sale.

Rowan fine art aran

It is a dark purple shade – although I know it looks black in the photo.  I wanted something dark as a background colour to make the bright colours of Noro Kureyon stand out.  I have a project in mind and would like to start it but I think I ought to finish a few more things first!

No comments:

Post a Comment