Saturday 19 July 2014

Modular Knitting or Strip Knitting?

In this blog I tend to use the term “modular knitting” to refer to all forms of knitting which involve knitting shapes – squares, oblongs, L-shapes, triangles or even irregular shapes.
Horst Schulz uses the term “patchwork knitting” to describe his modular knitting.  I tend to use this term just for quilts and throws.
Vivian Høxbro uses the term “domino knitting” to describe her modular knitting – but she mainly uses squares and shapes involving squares.
There is another lesser-used term – “strip knitting”.  Much of my modular knitting is really strip knitting.   The photo below shows a commercially bought bag covered in strip knitting.  I was trying to use up very small bits of Fandango yarn – so I knitted very narrow strips.

 
The tea cosy that I am currently working on is an example of strip knitting.  When I say “currently working on” I mean “thinking about” – actually this week I have been knitting a very small jacket for a baby who arrived last weekend.  This afternoon I am going to get on with roughing out a pattern for my tea cosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment