Thursday 6 March 2014

Why Choose Modular Knitting?

I particularly like modular knitting because I like using odd balls.  It may be odd balls of the same yarn.  I can’t decide which colour to choose so I buy one ball of each, or I have collected odd balls of lots of different yarns which are a similar colour and want to use them to make something.
Sometimes I look at a ball of multi-coloured yarn and think it is beautiful – and then I knit with it and don’t like the result.  If you are using modular knitting is seems easier to manipulate the yarn to make the colours combine how you want them to.

 
This photo shows part of a jumper that was knitted using modular knitting with one colour-way of yarn.  If I had just done stocking stitch – it would have turned out stripy.  I like the blocks of colour that blend into each other.

You don’t really need a pattern for modular knitting.  If I am knitting a jumper – I use an existing jumper that fits me as a guide to how many modular I need to make for the width and length etc.  The first module or couple of modules are my tension gauge.
I often have a problem with sleeves as I have short arms – it is very easy to lengthen the sleeves or lengthen the body of a garment by adding some more modules or just a band of contrasting knitting.

I think the main reason that I love modular knitting is that it is very creative and allows me to experiment with lots of colours and lots of yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment