Thursday 18 February 2021

Bressay Hap Shawl by Sharon Miller

 


When the book – Rowan 40 Years - 40 iconic hand-knit designs – was published in 2018 – I bought it and thought that I would like to knit something from it.  I thought it was interesting that if I had been asked to choose 40 patterns – I would have chosen 40 different ones!   This isn’t a criticism – it means that there are just so many good designs to choose from. 

I have always wanted to knit a traditional kind of hap shawl.  This design by Sharon Miller is a nod to tradition.  I have chosen almost completely different colours.   The design is made from Felted Tweed and the main colour is Watery – but I used that for my last shawl – so I wanted to use something different.  I have chosen Avocado.   The only colour that is the same is Peony.

Originally I had thought about choosing pink as the main colour but I couldn’t decide which one to choose.  This design includes 4 different shades of pink.  I would like it to go with a pink jacket that I own – but it probably won’t.   I think having a lime green as the main colour is likely to go much better.

When I started knitting the pattern – I struggled to understand it.  I would have liked a diagram.  I am still not completely sure what I am doing.  I have knitted the 2 side edges and am now working on the third one which I am supposed to keep on the needles instead of cast off.  The plan is to knit a fourth edge and then work on the central section.  I am hoping it will turn out OK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment